Wednesday 15 June 2011

Mummy knows best.....


I truly believe in the saying " a mother knows best " it pains me to say it sometimes but my mother is ALWAYS right and I feel the same myself now as a mother. Then there's that saying " no-one knows a child better than it's own mother " again VERY true, but why do certain people not agree? These "certain people" being medical professionals do they think they know my baby better than I do? They seem to think so, I forgot they lived with us 24/7 and seen it all first hand for 8 months(!) 

I am sick to the back teeth of Hospitals, Medical centres. Doctors, Health Visitors and the like. They go on about "if you ever have any problems we are only a phone call away" yeah right(!) a phone call away to your secretaries who are far from helpful who don't pass on messages and just plain incompetent.

My Spud is 8 months old now from day one we have had difficulties with him. Rapidly going from one extreme to the next but all revolving around feeding. He got diagnosed with acid reflux  when he was a few months old and put on medication for it. None of which really worked, to be fair it may have stopped him physically being sick but he still gets the reflux in his mouth. This particular doctor noticed how distressed he always was and done several scans on him including MRI's EEG's etc all of which come back negative. Now don't get me wrong that's a HUGE relief but we were all left very puzzled as to what the problem was. After consulting back with the Doctor after these results she was rather baffled. I stressed to her that we were still not happy, that he was clearly distressed and something needed to be done. ( at this particular time he was screaming for over 16 hours a day! Now I'm not on my own in saying that's just not right. ) The Doctor agreed " yes there's is absolutely something wrong this isn't the norm for a baby but as to what it is we just don't know. We've tried all these tests and there negative....we've hit a dead end." right ok so what now? "well we are going to discharge you" ........hang on a minute you acknowledge there is something wrong with my baby but you don't know what and then you discharge him??? 

Well fuck you too!!

He's now being seen by a community paediatrician who is neither use nor ornament. She's now saying it's a behavioural problem he has ( this was in April ) she said she wanted to see him in 3 months time. Now last week he refused to eat or drink and after not eating or drink for best part of 5 days I took him to A&E as I was very worried as his behaviour was so erratic. The doctors reaction was "well he hasn't lost weight so there's nothing we can do" so basically he's got to starve and dehydrate before they actually do something even though he'd fine without for 5 days. Ridiculous!
She asked when I was due to see the paediatrician I told her it should be July time, she advised me to ring them up and ask for an urgent appointment as he wasn't eating or drinking. So that's what I did I called up and got through to her secretary and explained everything she said " you haven't got an appointment in July now it's been cancelled it's November now" I said " that's pathetic he will be one by then the doctor told me it was urgent and that I couldn't wait until July let alone November. He's needs one right away"  she went on to say that this appointment was the earliest they had nothing sooner and that was that. 

So the situation we are in now is Spud is managing to get dime porridge down him but hasn't had any liquids in a week now and no one is doing a damn thing about it.

What is driving me crazy is all these doctors agreeing something isn't right but then doing nothing! What use is that to Spud? He's 8 months now and this has gone on far too long and he's just getting worse and worse and then people ( other mums ) saying " awww it's colic" " aww he's teething " really PISSES ME OFF!! do they think I'm stupid???? NO it's not colic! YES he is teething but they are not the causes and the hospital have clarified all this. My point is this, I know there trying to help but they really aren't saying things that are just plain ridiculous making out that it's just a little thing like colic when it's far from it. If the doctors don't know what it is I'm sure as hell the woman down the street won't know. Yes a mother knows best but she knows what's best for her OWN child, not other people's.

So what it's gonna take for them to take notice? To ACTUALLY do something ? Are they happy that he doesn't drink and possibly not eat until November ? Then in November I can almost guarantee that they will say see how he gets on and we will see you in 3 months time!

They tell you a mothers institution is important. Clearly not. I feel so helpless that I can't fix this and I feel even worse that I can't get people to help him.

Mummy knows best.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment